fetchmail & pine

Jared Bernard jared.bernard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 18:21:59 MDT 2005

I'm not sure I set up fetchmail correctly.
When I run fetchmail this is what I get:

fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.firston.com (protocol POP3) at Mon 11 Apr 2005
06:15:26 PM MDT: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 server ready
<15860792.185627984 at mail.provo.firston.com>
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR unknown command
fetchmail: unknown command
fetchmail: Repoll immediately on nixon at firston.com@mail.firston.com
fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 server ready
<15845192.185628468 at mail.provo.firston.com>
fetchmail: POP3> USER nixon at firston.com
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Please send PASS
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK User mailbox has 1 message (524 octets)
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 524
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR unknown command
fetchmail: unknown command
fetchmail: POP3> UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 message (524 octets)
fetchmail: POP3< 1 0000346F
fetchmail: POP3< .
1 message for nixon at firston.com at mail.firston.com (524 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 524
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
reading message nixon at firston.com@mail.firston.com:1 of 1 (524 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3<  This is a test of the the emergency broadcast system.
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.firston.com
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.firston.com (protocol POP3) at Mon 11 Apr 2005
06:15:31 PM MDT: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 10
Done.

It looks like it's working and receiving my test email, but when I go to pine
my inbox is empty. Do I need to point my pine's inbox to a particular folder?
Everything I've read while I was googling seemed to indicate that my pine
inbox should point to /var/spool/mail/jared. Is this correct? When I look
in /var/spool/mail/jared, there is a file there but it's empty. Any help
would be appreciated. thanks,

JB