US Economy

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Sun Apr 10 12:02:09 MDT 2005

Hans Fugal wrote:
> On Sat,  9 Apr 2005 at 23:24 -0600, Dan Wilson wrote:
>
>>>   2. Reconfiguring wireless on my laptop every time I sit down on a new
>>>      wireless network is not something I have time to do.
>>
>>What flavor of Linux have you run?  I am using SuSE 9.3 with Gnome 2.10
>>and there is a nice little applet (netapplet) that allows you to easily
>>switch between wired and wireless.  It also detects nearby access points
>>and provides a nice interface to configure each one.
>

> You must have a wireless card that came with decent software if you
> don't have to mess with wireless everytime you sit down on a new
> network. This is definitely not a standard thing between cards - some
> are harder than others - and the default windows way is sometimes
> disabled by the card (and isn't automatic). Most cards come with
> software that is easier then the command-line tools in linux, yes. But
> there are things on linux to make it a no-brainer.
>
> I use waproamd. Whenever I enter a new wireless network, if it is wide
> open I am connected automatically. If it needs a wep key, I just have to
> save that key to a file, and I am connected automatically that time and
> every time in the future. No clicking, no fussing.

What about moving between wired and wireless networks. In Windows, if a
wireless connection is available, it is used. If a wired network is
available, it is used (not sure what it does if both are available). In
the past, I have always fired up an xterm and run /etc/init.d/net.wlan0
stop && /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start. This is somewhat painful, and I'd
like for Linux to automagically use whatever network is available
without *any* user intervention. Ideas?

--Dave