US Economy

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sun Apr 10 10:31:35 MDT 2005

On Sat,  9 Apr 2005 at 23:24 -0600, Dan Wilson wrote:
> >    2. Reconfiguring wireless on my laptop every time I sit down on a new
> >       wireless network is not something I have time to do.
>
> What flavor of Linux have you run?  I am using SuSE 9.3 with Gnome 2.10
> and there is a nice little applet (netapplet) that allows you to easily
> switch between wired and wireless.  It also detects nearby access points
> and provides a nice interface to configure each one.

You must have a wireless card that came with decent software if you
don't have to mess with wireless everytime you sit down on a new
network. This is definitely not a standard thing between cards - some
are harder than others - and the default windows way is sometimes
disabled by the card (and isn't automatic). Most cards come with
software that is easier then the command-line tools in linux, yes. But
there are things on linux to make it a no-brainer.

I use waproamd. Whenever I enter a new wireless network, if it is wide
open I am connected automatically. If it needs a wep key, I just have to
save that key to a file, and I am connected automatically that time and
every time in the future. No clicking, no fussing.

> >    3. This may seem trite (and it's hard to explain):
> >       I use a program in Windows called "canman".  It runs in my system
> >       tray.  Commands I commonly use, passwords, user names, little
> >       snippets of code, are all stored here.  To access a command I
> >       simply right click on the CanMan program in the system tray to
> >       selected my stored command, and viola, it is in my copy buffer,
> >       ready to use in the program I am working on or to post a command
> >       to the putty session I may be in.  I have tried and tested many
> >       different programs to find something similar, but all to no avail.

I haven't seen anything exactly like this. There are clipboard history
system tray things that are along the same lines, and for storing
sensitive information I use Gringotts. If this is the only thing keeping
you from using linux, I bet you could find someone to write it if you
yourself are not a programmer.

Here's an alternative - keep it in a file which you bookmark in firefox
as a sidebar. In X, selecting is copying to the clipboard, and I don't
think selecting something in a sidebar is any slower than right-click
and choosing.

If you don't have a browser handy all the time, keep an xterm in the
corner with it. If you go on xterm-closing rampages all the time like I
do, make an alias that cats your file in the current xterm. If none of
those are convenient, make a shortcut on the taskbar of whatever desktop
you use to fire up an editor with that file open. One click and a select
again.