US Economy

C. Ed Felt ed at thefelts.net
Sat Apr 9 21:34:02 MDT 2005

I am working currently for a startup VoIP company in Florida.  Every
piece of software we use commercially and every server we have set up
since starting this company from scratch has been open source.  Even
commercial app we have bought (RHE is one example) is still open source
at least.  But, as a desktop, Linux and other open source solutions can
make it hard to deal with the business side of things.

Three reasons I have yet to move exclusively to Linux as my desktop (of
course Unix, FreeBSD, Linux etc. rule as servers compared to Wind :-$ ws):

   1. Synchronizing Outlook Calendar, email etc. with my Pocket PC.  I
      live on it as a book reader, planner etc (save the trees :-) ).
   2. Reconfiguring wireless on my laptop every time I sit down on a new
      wireless network is not something I have time to do.
   3. This may seem trite (and it's hard to explain):
      I use a program in Windows called "canman".  It runs in my system
      tray.  Commands I commonly use, passwords, user names, little
      snippets of code, are all stored here.  To access a command I
      simply right click on the CanMan program in the system tray to
      selected my stored command, and viola, it is in my copy buffer,
      ready to use in the program I am working on or to post a command
      to the putty session I may be in.  I have tried and tested many
      different programs to find something similar, but all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed Felt