Northface U ?

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Fri Apr 8 09:30:08 MDT 2005

On Apr 08, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Hans Fugal wrote:

> I interviewed with NU for a position (I would be developing software to
> support the software the students write). I was very impressed with the
> people and the approach, as far as it was explained to me. Their
> projects are real-world problems in the genealogy (and other history)
> realm, not just toy problems. Their focus is real-world programming,
> teamwork, whatnot, but with a solid background. They appeared to be
> fairly balanced - corporate sponsorship (or whatever the proper term is
> for throwing your name around and giving free software) from MS and IBM
> IIRC and others, and a determination to expose students to all
> platforms
> without bias. They'll teach you both open source development as it fits
> in a business world and traditional MS-like development.

I second Hans opinion.  I interviewed for a position with them about 1
1/2 - 2 years ago, but things didn't quite work out.  That being said,
I was impressed with their focus and with their methodology.
Project-based learning really is a great way to learn software
engineering.  It is also important to note that you will have an actual
Bachelors degree when you graduate from there (in either CS or Software
Engineering, I can't remember which it is).  Also, your last few months
is spent as an intern for one of their business partners (IBM,
Microsoft, Unisys, etc.), and from what they told me, your chances at
getting a job at one of those places when you graduate is pretty good.

As to whether the price is worth it, that is a personal decision only
you can make.

Grant