US Economy

Joel Finlinson joel.finlinson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:39:16 MDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 3:38 PM, Grant Shipley <gshipley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005 2:40 PM, Michael Halcrow <mike at halcrow.us> wrote:
> > I do not expect this to be a very popular position to present to this
> > audience, since most everyone here finds himself in Bill's shoes, to
> > some degree or other.  Of course, Bill could always pick up
> > landscaping -- after all, there's enough extra cash floating around
> > now to furnish the demand.
>
> When I went to see RMS speak he stated this same thing as well.  That
> software developers can/should make money other ways (painting,
> landscaping, etc).  This is when I began to evaluate my position on
> how I felt about him and his positions.

Here's an interesting link that shows how much OSS matters to
Friendster's bottom line :

http://www.infoworld.com/reports/14SRfriendster.html

I would imagine that many other companies are in the same situation.
Thus affecting the economy.  They can spend all that licensing money
they've saved on something else......like gasoline.  ;-)

Regards,

   JOEL