US Economy

Sasha Pachev sasha at surveyz.com
Thu Apr 7 12:48:37 MDT 2005

 > I don't know if I would go as far as saying "in the slightest". BSD
 > software in particular has been responsible for accelerating the
 > information revolution. But in general, I have to agree with Josh. You
 > all know that I'm a strong F/OSS supporter, but lets not get delusions
 > of granduer. IT is only part of a very large and diverse economy. F/OSS
 > isn't vital to the economy. Yet.

US became a super-power before computers were even invented. They made cars,
airplanes, and even spaceships that are basically on par (not even one order of
magnitude faster or fuel-efficient) with what we have today using either a very
primitive computer or performing computations by hand. And to put things in
perspective - potatoes do not require a computer to grow.

It is clear that while the information technology strengthens certain sectors of
the economy a lot, others experience only marginal benefits. Additionally,
strengthening individual sectors does not neccessarily add to the overall
strength. For example sectors, such as the alcohol and tobacco industry,
gambling, adult entertainment, etc, do not need to be strengthened at all - the
net result of their existence is a minus.

So after all, as much as we do not like to hear it, the net result of the
existence of open source might actually be somewhat close to zero even if it
becomes responsible for close to 100% of all the software ever written.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting