Slashdot feed...

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Thu Apr 7 09:59:14 MDT 2005

>Would the Internet
>Archive project (www.archive.org) be able to be run as cheaply as
>possible or maybe even as a non-profit organization at all if it
>wasn't powered by Linux, Apache, PHP, and Perl?

>Would Berkeley Data
>Systems (www.berkeleydata.net) take a hit monetarily if the website
>wasn't powered by Linux, Apache, Perl, OpenSSL, and PHP?

i don't know what the internet archive or bds has to do with this
discussion, but i know that neither of them has anything to with the
strength of the US economy.  you've introduced a silly red herring with
overtones of an ad hominem.

oh, and we don't use perl at bds. ;-)

>If Google didn't run their
>corporation on Linux could they be as profitable as they are??

they would be marginally less profitable, but still very profitable.

>So the
>local economy of CA doesn't impact the US economy??

this is a stupid question.

look, if you want to argue that open source has some positive effect on the
strength of the US economy, then fine - i think that's clear.  so do girl
scout cookies and so does walmart.

the question was: "to what degree is OSS responsible for the economic
strength of the US."

my answer?  it's not responsible in the slightest.

sure, OSS is a "good thing" but it's insignificant when compared to the
bread and butter that makes the US an economic superpower in this world.
it'd be folly to argue against that, but be my guest.

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org