Slashdot feed...

Thad Van Ry tvanry at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 09:27:48 MDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 8:35 PM, Josh Coates <jcoates at archive.org> wrote:
> this is what makes the US economy strong, that and a population of 300M
> wealthy (globally relative) producers and consumers doesn't hurt.

The big three can't sell trucks to people who can't afford to buy
them. THAT is what makes the US economy strong. Would the Internet
Archive project (www.archive.org) be able to be run as cheaply as
possible or maybe even as a non-profit organization at all if it
wasn't powered by Linux, Apache, PHP, and Perl? Would Berkeley Data
Systems (www.berkeleydata.net) take a hit monetarily if the website
wasn't powered by Linux, Apache, Perl, OpenSSL, and PHP?

> sorry, but the fact that google runs linux or IBM supports apache or a small
> handful of people (ie. 10's of thousands) regularly use emacs doesn't make a
> nano-difference to the US economy.

I'm sure Google contributes greatly to the economy of Mountain View,
CA, as well as surrounding areas. If Google didn't run their
corporation on Linux could they be as profitable as they are?? So the
local economy of CA doesn't impact the US economy?? The _United_
States economy is strong because the local economies of it's cities is
strong. Being a local elected official, this is the way I see it work
every day. If a majority of my citizen's personal economy isn't
strong, the economy of my city isn't strong. If a majority of the
cities located in Utah don't have strong economies, then Utah doesn't
have a strong economy. I think you see by now where I'm going with
this. So if OSS disappeared tomorrow, would the sky fall? No. Would
the stock market take a hit? You bet. Could it recover? Probably.
However, to say that little things don't make a nano-difference to the
economy doesn't ring true with me. They've made a difference to the
companies you've been affiliated with, haven't they?

> don't get me wrong, i'm all for open source, and it's certainly had a
> positive effect on our careers and personal economics - but let's try to
> stay grounded. ;-)

So the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts?

--
Thad Van Ry