Slashdot feed...

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Wed Apr 6 20:35:30 MDT 2005

>I'm going to disagree with you on two points.

<snip off-topic inflammatory partisan remarks>

>To the extent that it is strong, it is so in part due to the Internet.
>And that in turn runs heavily on OSS. Cases in point, Apache, Linux,
>sendmail, emacs.

the economy is also strong "in part" due to neighborhood lemonade stands.
the real question is how *significant* a part is it?

the strength of the US economy is based on low inflation, low unemployment,
a high per capita GDP, the value of the stock market and a hundred other
economic strength indicators.

OSS has very little to do with the strength of the US economy.

how many thousand trucks GM delivers
how many tons of steel are produced
how many millions of yards of textiles are manufactured

this is what makes the US economy strong, that and a population of 300M
wealthy (globally relative) producers and consumers doesn't hurt.

sorry, but the fact that google runs linux or IBM supports apache or a small
handful of people (ie. 10's of thousands) regularly use emacs doesn't make a
nano-difference to the US economy.

don't get me wrong, i'm all for open source, and it's certainly had a
positive effect on our careers and personal economics - but let's try to
stay grounded. ;-)

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org