Slashdot feed...

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Apr 6 18:35:32 MDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 03:53:53PM -0600, Eric Jensen wrote:
> Stuart Jansen wrote:
>

> I can understand the "repeat victim" part.  We have all experienced that
> plenty.  But the economy part is a bit of a stretch.  America's economy
> is one of, if not the, strongest economy in the world and I'm pretty
> sure it wasn't because of OSS mindsets.

I'm going to disagree with you on two points.

The American economy is strong compared to, oh, say, Zimbabwe, but
nowhere near as strong as it could be. I take it you've priced
petroleum products lately. How about euros? Those prices are both
symptomatic of a cheaper $, thanks to Mr. Bush's policies, which are
neither compassionate nor conservative. That cheaper $ does not bode
well for a strong American economy.

To the extent that it is strong, it is so in part due to the Internet.
And that in turn runs heavily on OSS. Cases in point, Apache, Linux,
sendmail, emacs.