Slashdot feed...

Eric Jensen eric at emstraffic.com
Wed Apr 6 15:53:53 MDT 2005

Stuart Jansen wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 14:14 -0600, Josh Coates wrote:
>

>I was wearing my "repeat victim of proprietary software
>just trying to accomplish something and move the economy forward
>productively" glasses.

I can understand the "repeat victim" part.  We have all experienced that
plenty.  But the economy part is a bit of a stretch.  America's economy
is one of, if not the, strongest economy in the world and I'm pretty
sure it wasn't because of OSS mindsets.

>You saw "OSDL employee tries to compete with BitMover". I saw, "BitMover
>tried to force its will on a user".

I'm not up to speed on the OSDL employee stuff, but I've never felt like
BitMover was forcing anything on anybody.  Even if it isn't open source,
I think offering a great product/service for free is very generous.
Personally, I think a lot of people are still locked in the anti
Microsoft mindset.  But there is a difference.  Microsoft makes horrid
products and are the worst kind of capatilist bullies.  People like
BitMover, Secway, and many many others make great products and offer
them very generously to the community.

With that said, I'm not sure where I stand on the reverse engineering.
Reverse engineering has been used to steal and also to great new and
better technologies.

Eric Jensen