Slashdot feed...

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Apr 6 15:32:33 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 14:14 -0600, Josh Coates wrote:
> >When you use proprietary software, you are selling your future. At least
> >Larry McVoy is being friendly about things.
>
> what i got out of the article was something a little different.

Because you were looking at it while wearing your "American capitalist
producer of proprietary software that might make me filthy stinking
rich" glasses. I was wearing my "repeat victim of proprietary software
just trying to accomplish something and move the economy forward
productively" glasses.

You saw "OSDL employee tries to compete with BitMover". I saw, "BitMover
tried to force its will on a user". Ultimately, that's what proprietary
software is about: holding customers hostage. Meanwhile commercial OSS
is about trying to figure out what customers are willing to pay for
while dealing with the constant threat of them of them switching to
somebody more responsive. As an end user, I prefer the latter. As a
developer, I've never enjoyed being part of the former.

Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org

using enough of it." - Chris Maden