Slashdot feed...

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Wed Apr 6 15:01:21 MDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:14:50PM -0600, Josh Coates wrote:

> what i got out of the article was something a little different.
>
> i read "open source zealots ripped off (ie. stole) bitkeeper by illegally
> reverse engineering it, which resulted in bitmover killing their free
> version of the product."

Ignoring the opensource-versus-proprietary debate here, if people can't
study current technology (which usually means reverse engineering it), how
can people come up with new technology?

Only people that currently possess some technology is supposed to be able
to improve on it?

History has shown that this doesn't work very well. Of course we must
respect licenses and do things the legal way. Some laws are just bad and
should not exist in the first place.

-Roberto