Linux startup script

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Apr 5 09:10:38 MDT 2005

On Mon,  4 Apr 2005 at 16:53 -0600, Eric Jensen wrote:
> I assumed it was something to do with the fact Simp isn't open source,
> but I hate assuming because I am horrid at it.  I love open source as
> much as the next guy, but going around being an IM snob and telling
> people they can't talk to me unless they use *my* IM program doesn't
> seem very "free" to me.  If somebody can point out a completely open
> source IM encryption program that works like Simp, then I would switch
> in a heart beat.

You are of course welcome to use whatever you like, but I don't follow
your argument. You are saying you use this simp thing because you don't
want to tell people what IM program to use, but as I understand it there
is no standard for encryption with most protocols so if you're going to
have encryption you have to force the other side to use the same client.
In that case, it's better to force them to use a Free client than a
non-free client, and you will find it very hard to convince us
otherwise.

> I just think offering very nice encryption for *any*
> IM software out there is a pretty sweet service.  And add "free as in
> beer/pizza" to the mix and it is even sweeter.

As for alternatives, gaim-encryption was already mentioned. You
mentioned cross-protocol IM. Jabber the protocol supports that, and all
you need is a decent jabber client (gaim works for this). Jabber also
has an encryption standard so you can use encryption with other jabber
users if they use a client that supports it (gaim doesn't,
unfortunately, but psi does and it works on windows as well).

In short, if you want to talk to people that are already set up on one
protocol, gaim. If you want to do encryption, there has to be agreement
on both ends and it's better to agree on something Free.

From /etc/init.d/rcS on a Debian system (assuming the same for Ubuntu):

    #
    #       For compatibility, run the files in /etc/rc.boot too.
    #
    [ -d /etc/rc.boot ] && run-parts /etc/rc.boot

So put an run-parts(8) executable script in /etc/rc.boot and it will be
run on startup.

I'm not sure what rationale they have for not doing rc.local or rc.boot
anymore, but it does still work for compatibility's sake; it's just not
well documented anymore.