Linux startup script

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Apr 4 16:56:39 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 16:45 -0600, Josh Coates wrote:
> >Sorry, I'm not sure I follow the speech analogy. :(
>
> tuxgirl is just subsitituing "beer" with "pizza" in the context of the
> popular metaphorical contrast of economic cost with political/social
> freedom.
>
> that should clear things up for you.

Assuming you parsed the message, Josh's answer was actually quite lucid.
Basically: by Free I mean that users of the software control its future.
If it's useful, they can keep it alive. If it's buggy, they can fix it.
Users of proprietary software are slaves to the whims of the company
that owns the product. They might be velvet chains, but they're still
chains. I've been betrayed by even company's that appeared to "get it".
Sure, as a result some of the software I use is less polished, but I
like knowing I control my own future.

(At least free [as in uninvited guests crashing your party eating your
pizza and drinking your {root} beer] software doesn't subject you to the
frustration of cajoling an insulting support system into helping with
your issues. You get all the support you payed for. I really hate
expensive proprietary software that holds its corporate customers
hostage.)

Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org

using enough of it." - Chris Maden