Linux startup script

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Apr 4 16:18:59 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 15:06 -0600, Eric Jensen wrote:
> Wanting a program to run on start up and am having a hard time figuring
> out an easy way to do that.  I've looked at the scripts in rc.5 and they
> seem far more complex then what I need.  To be specific, I am wanting to
> run Secway's Simpserver for encrypting my gAim conversations.  To run
> the script you just type /usr/local/bin/simpserver in a terminal.  In
> Ubuntu I tried just created a simbolic link to that file in the rc.5 as
> SS99simpserver, but it didn't seem to work.  I am now in Suse (finally
> got my crazy install problems resolved), but I didn't try that again
> since I didn't think it would work.  Any suggestions?

First, I'd use gaim-encryption. It's Free software whereas a cursory
examination didn't turn up any evidence that simpserver is. It'd be a
shame if they yanked the carpet out from under you at some points.

Second, I was going to give some pointers on creating the rc script,
like where to find an easily modified example, but I got too bored to do
proper research. It's really not that hard, though, and it puts hair on
the chest.

Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org

using enough of it." - Chris Maden