[PLUG-announce] February PLUG Meeting: Beginning Arduino

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Mon Feb 1 10:40:37 MST 2010

Date: February 10th, 2010
Time: 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Location: Omniture (Adobe)
http://www.plug.org

PLUG:
If you have ever wanted to break in to the world of hardware hacking we have a
treat for you this month. Arduino is an open hardware platform that lowers the
barrier to really advanced embedded system designs. There are several
interchangeable attachments (shields) you can add to your Arduino to increase
its functionality. The basic board can be powered via USB, and there is an
open source IDE available that will run on the most common OS platforms
(including Linux). The Arduino platform has gathered a lot of interest from
those that are new to the world of embedded programming due to its low cost
and ease of use. Any geek worth his salt can get involved with limited time
and financial investment.

This month PLUG is pleased to have Matthew Walker and Matt Nelson join forces
to give us all an introductory look at Arduino. They will cover what you need
to get started, basic circuit design, sensors, and more. Matt and Matt will
have some examples of things you might want to get if you're interested in
this platform. If you own a *duino please bring it to the meeting and show off
your 750 point breadboarded robotics platform. ;-)

A full starter kit (everything you need) costs between $40-$60. While we
couldn't get a user group discount from any of the distributors we asked,
there is a possibility we can do a group purchase and get a volume discount if
there is enough interest.

>From Matthew Walker:
I've been a web developer for the last ten years, and I love programming. I
have a consulting business, but I'm also employed full time at Marketecture,
right across the street from Omniture. My preferred languages are Perl and
PHP, but I like acquiring new skills, and have recently started to get into
Android and Arduino development.