[PLUG-announce] January PLUG Meeting: Parrot

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Thu Jan 1 20:37:52 MST 2009

Date: January 14th, 2009
Time: 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Location: Omniture, Inc.

Stephen Weeks (Tene in #utah) will be our presenter this month. He will be
discussing the Parrot VM. From Stephen...

"Guru at Guru Labs for 1.5 years. I teach, work on courseware, and assorted
Perl programming. In my spare time I work on Parrot and recently a roguelike.
I've been working on Parrot for about a year, in which time I've written a
LOLCODE and Ruby compiler and done a lot of work on Exceptions and some work
implementing features in Perl 6.

I'd like to talk about Parrot and/or Perl 6! That's about as specific as I
get. If nobody has any more-specific requests, I'd like to run through
implementing a simple language and the parts of a Parrot compiler. Maybe
scheme? I haven't decided yet."

About Parrot:

"Parrot is a virtual machine designed to efficiently compile and execute
bytecode for dynamic languages. Parrot currently hosts a variety of language
implementations in various stages of completion, including Tcl, Javascript,
Ruby, Lua, Scheme, PHP, Python, Perl 6, APL, and a .NET bytecode translator.
Parrot is not about parrots, though we are rather fond of them for obvious
reasons."

Come and learn about this highly versatile VM. See you there!